Being prepared when undertaking a BI project will considerably increase your chances of success and maximize the return on your time, effort and finances you'll be spending.
1) Do you have a strong Business Sponsor willing to stand behind your BI project?
2) Do you have the staff available to work on this project? Time from business users is a must.
3) Where in your organization will see the biggest benefits from BI?
4) What software toolset has the features that will meet your needs today? Going into tomorrow?
5) And seek information from people who have "been there & done that". Find BI experts, consultants, or other companies with a track record and learn from them.